Our governing board is made up of five types of governors
1. Head teacher x 1
2. Staff governor x 1
3. Local authority governor x 1
4. Parent governor x 2
5. Co-opted governor x 8
Co-opted governors are positions determined by the governing board. Governors in these positions are often members of the local community that have a specific expertise or skill which enriches the work of the governing board. They are appointed by the existing board following an interview.
What types of skills and qualities does a governor have?
• A desire to contribute to and represent our diverse community
• An interest in the performance of our school
• An open and enquiring mind
• The ability to look at issues objectively
• The confidence to ask questions and join in debate
• A willingness to listen and make informed judgments
• The ability to work well with others
• Time to support and contribute to the school
What exactly is the commitment?
• There is a minimum of six meetings of the Full Governing Body each year, along with at least two half day school visits – sometimes the whole governing body is involved and sometimes Governors work in a smaller working group
• Some governors have specific responsibilities – for example, Special Educational Needs, Health & Safety, Inclusion, and Self-Evaluation.
• In addition to a full and detailed induction programme, all governors have the opportunity to undertake further training to build on existing skills or to develop new ones.
• All governors are required to pass a DBS check prior to joining the governing body
What we can offer?
• A chance to develop skills in strategic management
• The opportunity to work with our team of governors and staff in improving our school and serving the local community
• Training to develop an understanding of specific school issues and in doing so learning a new skill
• A sense of achievement in making a difference to our school
• The pleasure of helping pupils reach their potential
The Governing Body at West Hove Infant School is long established and you will be supported by fellow governors with many years of combined experience. Please see the current vacancies section for current opportunities.